Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Olympics

I love the Olympics! I've been glued to the screen since the Opening Ceremony, which by the way, was the best Opening Ceremony ever.

My latest thing is to ask people what is the first Olympics that they remember. For me, it's Mary Lou! What 7-year-old didn't want to be Mary Lou when they saw her. I feel old when the guys I work with say that the first Olympics they remember is Kerri Strug, but that was a pretty cool Olympics, too. I've been very fascinated, though, when I ask the question about the first Olympics that people remember, they rarely answer with a city or a year, but almost always with an athlete. Interesting.

One of my favorite athletes of this Olympics is Peter Vandenhoogenband. He's actually only in one race this time, but this is his third Olympics. He's Dutch and a very good swimmer, but I really love him just for his name. The first Olympics he was in, I was so proud when I figured out how to pronouce his name, so I try to incorporate into Olympic conversation whenever possible.

Well, I'm off to watch more!

1 comment:

Diego Armendariz said...

It's gotta be Mary Lou with the perfect 10. And like you said, I couldn't tell you the city or anything else about it.... just that Mary Lou was awesome. Notwithstanding watching her at the age of 7 didn't make me want to be a female Olympic gymnast.